If you like the idea of one or two meatless meals a week this is a good one to try. I tested it on 4 teens ages 15-19 and they all really liked it!
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, diced - about 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon garlic diced ( I use the diced garlic in a jar from Costco)
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 package taco seasoning (or make your own)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth ( I use water and bouillon paste or cube)
To serve: crush some taco chips on your plate, spoon the taco lentil mixture over the chips. Add lettuce, sour cream, salsa and grated cheddar. Could also be rolled up in a tortilla or a pita. Serves 6
To make into a freezer meal you could place the garlic, onions, lentils and taco seasoning into a zip lock freezer bag. To cook thaw overnight in fridge and fry until onions are softened. Then proceed with the vegetable broth and simmering. I think this could also be done in a slow cooker by preparing everything up to the simmering stage and then cooling and freezing. Then on the day of cooking place in slow cooker to cook until lentils are soft.
This recipe is adapted from Epicurious.