Thursday, March 27, 2014

Gluten Free Pita Bread

Just out of the oven!
I've been using coconut flour a lot in my baking trying to eat more fibre and less carbs.  I like the way it works and thought I could probably make pita bread with it.  I was pretty pleased with my first attempt - they puffed nicely but were a bit wet inside.  I had put in some sweet rice flour thinking it would give stretch but also kept them too wet. Second time around I used regular rice flour and they worked well.




Gluten Free Pita Bread. - with coconut flour
1 cup water
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
6 tablespoons coconut flour
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons oil
1 egg, large
In mixing bowl place water, yeast and sugar. Measure and mix together the flours, salt and xanthan gum. Add to water and yeast. Add oil and egg and mix well with wooden spoon. Dough will be
sticky but not wet.  Dust counter with rice flour.  Divide dough into 8 balls and flatten out on floured surface until less than 1/4" thick . Dust your hands with flour so the dough will not stick to you.  Cover with dish towel.  Preheat oven to 425 and place lightly greased baking sheet on lowest rack.  Leave in hot oven for 10- 15 minutes.  Open oven and place pitas on baking sheet.  Using a spray bottle mist pitas  and baking sheet quickly with water.  Bake @ 425 for 8 - 10 minutes. They will puff in the first few minutes.  Remove and place on a rack to cool.  Cover with clean dish towel.  When cool slit with a sharp knife.  I use a serrated knife.
Pat out to a little less than 1/4" thick into an oval.

puffed up nicely in the oven

2 comments:

  1. Great recipe, going to try to make gluten free donairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Make sure your pan is heated up in the oven so that it is super hot! I had to look up what a donair was....never heard of it before. I'll have to try that this weekend.

    ReplyDelete