Thursday, August 25, 2011

Rice with Cheese and Tomato ~Meatless

Manitoba has been very hot this summer.  We broke the record this week with 37C on the 23rd.  I've been trying to cook meals that suit this type of weather and this one I inherited from my mother-in-law.  I also remember that this is the first meal my husband cooked for me - well he was my boyfriend then. That was also on a warm summer day at the end of the summer, an August day about 35 years ago. He served it with fresh tomato slices and corn on the cob from the family garden.
Rice with Cheese and Tomato
Ingredients:
2 cups rice
3 cups water
1/4 lb cheddar cheese (I prefer "Old")
1/2  teaspoon salt
1 medium onion, diced
4 large beefsteak tomatoes, diced (or one 7 1/2oz can tomato paste and 7 1/2 oz. water)
Method:
Place rice, water and salt in pot on stove.  Bring to a boil.  Cover, turn heat to very low and simmer 20 minutes until done. Or cook in rice cooker.

save a step and place clean uncooked eggs in with the rice to cook.
Carefully mix in the cooked rice to the tomato mixture.

This is what it should look like with the rice mixed in.

In large skillet, fry the onion in 2 tablespoons oil or butter until golden brown.  Add peeled and diced tomatoes (if using fresh) or 1 small can tomato paste and 1 small can water.  Simmer until soft if using fresh, or simmer 5 minutes if using canned.  Add grated cheddar and rice.  Mix well.  Season with freshly ground pepper.  If you wish to add more protein - serve with hard boiled eggs or devilled eggs.  Other extras could be corn on the cob, or sliced cucumber and carrots from your garden.  This recipe serves 4 in our home.  I usually double it for 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment