- 16 ounces white mini marshmallows - make sure they are made with cornstarch not wheat starch.
- 2-5 tablespoons water
- 2 lbs icing sugar - make sure it is gluten free
- 1/2 cup Crisco shortening. (read notes at bottom of recipe)
Grease your hands generously with the shortening and also grease the counter you will be using.
Dump out marshmallow and sugar mixture onto the greased counter and start kneading the mixture as if it were bread dough. Keep kneading as the mixture is sticky at this stage. Add the rest of the icing sugar and knead some more. If the mixture tears easily then add a little water about 1/2 a tablespoon. It will take about 8 minutes to get a firm smooth eleastic ball so that it will stretch without tearing.
Let sit wrapped overnight - you can use it right away if there no tiny bits of powdered sugar.
Prepare the fondant for storing by coating it with a layer of shortening and wrap in plastic wrap. Store in fridge.
- to frost cookies just roll out and cut with the same cookie cutter and place over cookie - pressing lightly. Decorate with decorators icing.
- to place on a cake frost cake lightly with a little icing sugar and water mixture then apply fondant.
- If you have a heavy duty mixer you can melt the marshmallows and water. Put half of the icing sugar into the mixer's large bowl. Pour melted mixture over sugar and use the machine to knead while you add the remaining sugar.
- I did not use Crisco - just dusted my hands with the icing sugar.